-->

Heavy Hitters Inwards Lightweight

Friday Oct 23, 2015, 3:39 PM

This beingness purpose XIV of a Racer's Final(s) Diary

Two hours prior I nailed downward the starting fourth dimension one-half of my goal: the WERA V5 national entitle on my Kawasaki EX500.  With the Alabama afternoon waning in addition to my forcefulness flagging, I must endeavor to secure the instant half: the WERA V6 Lightweight national entitle on my Yamaha FZR400.

My promise is that this volition essay an easier chore than V5.  I accept a substantial points Pb over the residue of the field, whatever complete inwards the top 5 volition wrap it upwards for me.  There are ii motorcycles/riders that I am going to live on rattling difficult pressed to proceed upwards with, permit lonely vanquish out there.  The starting fourth dimension is Scott McKee on his FZR, a rattling fast combination that I accept even thus to best inwards competition.  The instant is soul I accept non met that others inwards the paddock are calling a "ringer", past times the advert of Ted "Cannonball" Cobb, reputedly an teacher for the Schwantz Racing School.  He volition live on riding Joe Pomeroy's hybrid, some kind of hot-rod Banshee/RZ motor inwards an Aprilia RS250 chassis (I think).  I create non hold off to vanquish him.  I spend upwards to crash trying to proceed upwards alongside either of them when I am thus closed to completing the "Spencer" (read nigh "Speculating the Spencer" here).  It feels a lot similar directly or never.

The work alongside racing ii unlike motorcycles, at to the lowest degree for me, is that it splits your attention.  The EX500 stops making ability at 9k RPMs, the FZR does non start making ability until 10K.  The brake set-up on the EX provides much to a greater extent than feel, but less stopping ability than the FZR.  The FZR top speed is nigh 140 mph, whereas the EX might hitting 120 alongside a skillful tailwind at Road Atlanta.  The Yamaha is mostly 4 seconds or to a greater extent than faster a lap depending on the track.  I drag toes, knees in addition to footpegs on the FZR, but other than my articulatio genus puck slightly skimming the pavement, goose egg touches downward alongside the EX.  All of these seemingly insignificant nuances toll fourth dimension on the rails every bit you lot accommodate from 1 machine to the the other.  I've said it before, but it's a lot similar having ii girlfriends in addition to trying to squall back which means each 1 likes to live on touched, larn it incorrect in addition to she only mightiness scratch your eyes out.

The start of the race proves interesting.  The clutch decides to play grabby in addition to I larn a huge wheelie that has me shitting my pants wondering if I volition throw the entitle away past times looping it on the line.  I fan the lever in addition to the forepart bicycle drops, thus comes dorsum upwards again.  This fourth dimension I ride it out, correct into the lead.  I'm certain McKee volition larn his commons wearisome start in addition to thus come upwards charging up, alongside Cannonball either inwards forepart or chasing him.  McKee gets past times on the larn out of Charlotte's Web in addition to I create upwards one's heed to hang alongside him for a bit.  It's non easy, that FZR pulls thus much harder than mine, despite both of them having the 489 hybrid motor.  And I know Cobb is dorsum at that spot every bit well.  I'm non worried nigh him, if he is every bit experienced every bit they say, he volition live on able to brand short, rubber run of passing me in addition to I volition live on left lonely cruising roughly inwards tertiary past times myself.  Then all I accept to create is relax in addition to non create anything stupid for 8 laps in addition to I tin post away live on #1 for the instant fourth dimension today.  At to the lowest degree that's what I hoped would happen......

Leading the V6 race, but non for long.

Me, leading McKee in addition to Kurt into Charlotte's Web

Anyone who thinks that vintage racing isn't closed in addition to exciting needs their caput examined!

Berlangganan update artikel terbaru via email:

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel